Dempsey Insurance Agency Blog


Kate Dempsey Mar 22, 2018 11:23:08 AM

On March 26, 2018, you need documents showing U.S. citizenship or lawful presence as required by federal and state law. Review the checklist below for the types of documents you will need. All documents MUST be originals.

Get Ready:

Step 1: Locate your Social Security Number

(Choose one document for REAL ID. For a Standard ID, SSN must be verified electronically.

  • SSN Card
  • W-2 Form                                                              
  • SSA-1099 Form
  • Non-SSA-1099 Form
  • Pay stub with applicant's name and SSN

* Applications without an SSN must present an SSA denial notice, forgein passport, VISA and 1-94. Documents presented must display full nine digits of SSN.


Step 2: Choose one lawful presence/date of birth document


  • US Passport/Passport card
  • Certified copy of US birth certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-561 or N570)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
  • Employment Authorization Card (Form I-766 or I-688B)
  • Foreign Passport with US VISA Affixed and I-94 Stamp


Step 3: Choose a MA residency document (2 for REAL ID, 1 for MA Standard ID)

  • MA RMV-issued documents such as a renewal letter
  • State/Federal/Municipal/City/Town/Country Agency-issued documents such as 1st class mail, MA-issued professional license with photo, Medicaid statement, firearms card, jury duty summons, court correspondence, property tax or excise tax dated within 60 days
  • Bills such as a utility bill, credit card statement or medical statements dated within 60 days
  • Lease, mortgage or rental contract dated within 60 day
  • Financial-related documents such as a blank statement with image of personal checks, W-2, pension statement, retirement statement pay stubs, SSA statement or instalment loan contract dated within 60 days
  • School-issued documents such as school transcript, proof of enrolment, tuition bill, school record for the current year


Get Your License/ID

  • Start application online at
  • For renewals applicants must choose:
    • Standard license or ID card: may be able to complete online
    • REAL ID license or ID card: must visit a RMV Service Center or AAA office (if a member)
  • All first-time applicants must visit a RMV Service Center and bring appropriate documents
  • A REAL ID license/ID costs the same as a Standard license/ID

For more information visit:
Rev. 3/12/18 by MA RMV

Read More

Important News About Temporary Plates

Kate Dempsey Jul 10, 2015 12:44:16 PM

The Registry of Motor Vehicles has issued a formal statement regarding whether paper or temporary plates are permitted on vehicles purchased by Massachusetts residents from out-of-state dealers. The letter reads in part:

"Massachusetts does not issue temporary registration plates for its own residents but it does recognize temporary registration plates validly registered in other states to non-residents of Massachusetts who are temporarily operating in this state (assuming the plates are not expired or suspended.) Thus, a Connecticut resident operating a motor vehicle in Massachusetts on validly issued temporary Connecticut registration plates is OK, but a Massachusetts resident operating a newly purchased motor vehicle in Massachusetts with validly issued temporary Connecticut plates is not.

A Massachusetts resident who purchases a motor vehicle in another state must apply for and attach valid MA registration plates to the vehicle before he/she can drive the vehicle back to Massachusetts. (This can be done by using overnight services such as Fed Ex or UPS). As an alternative, the dealer may deliver the vehicle to the buyer in Massachusetts using the Dealer's out-of-state issued Dealer Plates (but the buyer cannot operate the vehicle on those Dealer Plates in Massachusetts once the vehicle has been delivered.

A Massachusetts resident who is operating a vehicle owned by him/her and registered in another state (even with "temporary plates") is probably violating Chapter 90, Section 9 and is subject to a fine of $100 for a first offense and up to $ 1,000 for a subsequent offense. The citation is issued for an "unregistered motor vehicle" according to the current CMVI Assessment Schedule of the Trial Court of the Commonwealth, District Court Department. Section 3 authorizes operation on MA public ways of vehicles that are properly registered to non-residents of other states. There is an exception in Section 3 for a MA corporation or a resident of Massachusetts who has a business in another state with commercial motor vehicles registered and garaged in that state."

To read more about Chapter 90, Section 9 or Section 3, click here.


Information provided by MAIA.

Read More

New Hampshire Hands-Free Law Begins July 1.

Kate Dempsey Jun 30, 2015 12:32:00 PM

If you’re northbound for the holiday, it’s important to note that New Hampshire’s newest anti-distracted driving law takes effect tomorrow, Wednesday, July 1.

Beginning tomorrow, it’s illegal to use a handheld phone while driving in New Hampshire. So for those of you heading north, make sure your calls are made, texts are sent and GPS is turned to “loud” before getting behind the wheel – and if you need to use your phone while on the road, find a safe spot to pull over.

And just a tip: don’t try to send that quick text or look up directions while you’re stopped at a red light or stop sign, the new law forbids that, too.

From all of us at Dempsey Insurance, we wish you and your family a happy, safe and fun Fourth of July Weekend.

Read More

Registry News - Plate Lottery

Kate Dempsey Jun 19, 2015 12:11:26 PM

The 2015 RMV Plate Lottery begins, today, June 19, 2015. The Plate Lottery Entry Form, includes the eligibility requirements and the list of available low number plates in the order in which they will be picked.

Read More

Registry News

Kate Dempsey Jun 4, 2015 1:41:00 PM

Throughout the year the Massachusetts Association of Insurance Agents (MAIA) updates independent agents on changing laws, proceedures and general happenings at the Registry. With the summer months upon us, we wanted to share news about three-wheeled motorcycles, same day license/ID policy, one-year photo extensions and Tobin Bridge toll updates.

Three Wheeled Vehicles

Three wheeled vehicles, such as the Polaris Slingshot and the Campagna T-Rex, have been certified by the manufacturers to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) as motorcycles. These vehicles may have certain automobile design elements, but they can only be registered as motorcycles.

Drivers of these vehicles need to follow all motorcycle rules, wear a DOT approved helmet, and have the proper motorcycle license or permit. For a full list of motorcycle rules and requirements, please refer the customer to the online Motorcycle Manual.


 Campagna T-Rex

Read More

Learning About The New Massachusetts Headlight Law

Kate Dempsey Apr 7, 2015 8:48:00 AM


Effective, today, April 7, 2015, a new Massachusetts law requires drivers to turn on their headlights when their vehicle's windshield wipers are in use. The law also states that headlights should be in use 30 minutes before sunrise and sunset or when visibility is less than 500 feet. 

Drivers can be ticketed for failing to comply with the new headlight law. For more information or to view the full law, click here. A violation is subject to a $5 fine and is considered a surchargeable minor motor vehicle traffic offense for insurance purposes.


Help us spread the word about this new law by sharing our post.


Read More

Motorcycle Insurance Coverage with a Massachusetts Insurance Agent

Patrick Dempsey May 7, 2013 9:30:00 AM

It is motorcycle season again and as the bikes hit the road, the insurance questions pick up concerning these vehicles. We write many policies for motorcycles and each one can be a little different from the next. Whether you are a seasoned motorcyclist, a newly permitted rider, use a 250HP bike or have a customized chopper you need insurance to ride in Massachusetts.

Norwood Motorcycle Insurance
Read More

In an Accident? Now What? Tips from a Massachusetts Insurance Agent

Patrick Dempsey Jun 24, 2012 9:00:00 AM

When you are involved in an auto accident it can be a traumatic experience. Here are some tips to get through the ordeal from the perspective of a Massachusetts Insurance Agent.

auto accident resized 600
Read More