On Thanksgiving Day, the kitchen is the busiest room in the home. The number one cause of residential fires is caused by unattended cooking. Enjoy the holiday while avoiding fire damage with these cooking safety tips.
- Remain in the kitchen when cooking on the stove-top to keep an eye on the food.
- Stay inside the home when cooking the turkey and check on it frequently.
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot and kids should be 3 feet away.
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy or coffee could cause serious burns.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of reach of children by placing them up high in a locked cabinet.
- Make sure all smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
- The National Fire Prevention Association also discourages the use of outdoor, gas-fueled turkey fryers.
**Content provided by ServiceMaster